While looking at my maps and  considering where my next trip would take me I looked at Beaverdam lake(not the one beside Deception lake the other one) when I saw that Round Bay River flowed out of it. I can say I never noticed this river before but with the recent upgrades to Google Earth I was able to take a good look at it. This is a route is a Paddle to the Sea. Which brings up memories of the book by the same name I remember reading as a kid. With the route planned out I emailed my friend Ron Chute to see if he was interested in joining me. He was and we a date rain or shine. For the record it did not shine, but that did not deter us from enjoying the trip. It is a very nice paddle through Bower’s Meadow. On the upper part we saw 3 beaver dams. The first of which we had to carry around, the others we were able to paddle over. The river continues twisting & turning for about 9km’s when we got to a narrow rocky area. When I first saw it I was wishing I had brought my tripod with me to be able to capture it properly. Like I say about most areas I travel to but I have to return to this spot sometime soon. Anyway we had no choice but to line the canoe through this spot. After this there is a series of stillwater’s, rock gardens & shallow spots till we arrived at Round Bay from there it is a short paddle across to where it flows out to the Atlantic. The trip took us about 4.5 hrs and was well worth the effort. It is often said by many around that Shelburne County is an undiscovered gem of the South Shore.

0 comments:

About Me

Dan
I am on a journey to paddle every lake in Shelburne county, A total of 121. With each outing there is a story to tell.
View my complete profile

Quote

I am always doing that which I cannot, in order that I may learn how to do it-

Pablo Picasso



Powered by Blogger.

Followers