Oct 5th, 08
Today I began a journey, one of undetermined length. I should correct my self in saying that it actually started several years ago but only recently became an organized thought. It all began while I was driving somewhere for work (which I do a lot of). I was thinking of things when I thought “I wonder….” how many of life journeys begin with these words. Anyway what I wondered was how many lakes are there in Shelburne County. A question that is easily answered by consulting my collection of maps and I came to a total of 116 named and several unnamed. To date I have been on 15 of them.
    As I said this journey actually started several years ago when I met a man named Dan Fry, a Master Canoe Builder and has become a good friend over the years. He encouraged me to build one of his designs. While returning home from vacation in PEI the decision was made and soon after construction began. With great pride I finished my first canoe and put it in the water on the Roseway River by Bowers road. This was the beginning of many adventures to come. Since this day I have had the opportunity of travel many of the waterways around SW Nova Scotia. This is not a journey I take alone, I have had the pleasure of having friends and family join me along the way, as I go forward I will include as many as I can to show & experience the beauty that is Shelburne County.
    Today I loaded up the canoe and headed to Welkum Park on Welshtown Lake.  As I set out I headed North West straight into the wind to explore that end of the lake. When I got there I found a small brook that continues NW and winds around and ends at a small ledge.  This is a beautiful spot in all the fall colors I must return to see it in the spring.
    Over the next weeks & months I look forward to spending countless hours planning for future trips.

0 comments:

About Me

Dan
I am on a journey to paddle every lake in Shelburne county, A total of 121. With each outing there is a story to tell.
View my complete profile

Quote

I am always doing that which I cannot, in order that I may learn how to do it-

Pablo Picasso



Powered by Blogger.

Followers